Activists and eyewitness talks of launch from Buk: court closed sixth session in MH17
10/06/2020 7:57 PM
At the Schiphol court in the Netherlands, the sixth trial in the MH17 case is closed.
The next will take place on June 22, reports the Ukrinform correspondent in The Hague.
“The defense will be able to respond to everything that has been submitted. In order to allow time to prepare, the hearings are adjourned until June 22,” said Presiding Judge Hendrik Steingajus.
As you know, the interests of one of the suspects – GRU Special Forces Lieutenant-Colonel Oleg Pulatov, who expressed a desire to participate in the MH17 trial, are represented by lawyers Sabina ten Dusshate and Baudewein van Eyck of the Dutch law firm Sjöcrona Van Stigt.
See also: Court in MH17: Prosecutors spoke of a study on the functioning of Buk missile systems
Prosecutors today released details of the investigation in court. In particular, prosecutor Thys Berger said that a witness had seen the Buk and the launch of a rocket.
It also involved researching the functioning of the Buk air defense missiles, two types of missiles were tested – 9M38 and 9M28-M1.
Even in the courtroom, intercepted telephone conversations were heard, they were able to identify the activists.
Prosecutor Vard Ferdinandousse noted that there were four suspects: the former FSB officer, the so-called former DNR defense minister Igor Girkin (Strelkov), general, and while the plane was shot down, Colonel GRU of the Russian Armed Forces General Staff, head of GRN DNR Sergey Dubinsky, Lieutenant-Colonel – GRU special forces officer Oleg Pulatov (all are citizens of the Russian Federation), citizen Ukrainian Leonid Kharchenko, who fought on the side of the “DPR”, cannot claim the alleged immunity of a combatant.
“Igor Girkin, Sergey Dubinsky, Oleg Pulatov and Leonid Kharchenko are not combatants from the point of view of international law. Consequently, they cannot appeal to immunity,” said the prosecutor.
Consequently, the Dutch side sees no obstacle to their criminal proceedings.
See also: Hearing MH17: witnesses classified in number and compromised for the suspect
As Ukrinform reported, on June 8, the second block of court hearings in the MH17 case began.
Due to the spread of the coronavirus, the number of people likely to appear in court is limited. Anyone can follow the process through a live stream. It will take place in two languages: Dutch and English.
In March of this year, the district court in The Hague initiated proceedings concerning the crash of an MH17 flight in the sky over the Donbass.
The Schiphol judicial complex, located 50 km from The Hague, is reserved for one year for the examination of the MH17 file.
The Malaysian Airlines passenger Boeing-777, which flew MH17 from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, was shot down over the occupied Donbass on July 17, 2014. On board the ship were 283 passengers and 15 crew members , all dead.
An international investigation team reported that an aircraft in flight MH17 had been shot down by the Buk anti-aircraft missile system, which belongs to the 53rd anti-aircraft missile defense brigade of the Russian armed forces stationed in Kursk.
According to the materials: ukrinform.ru