Floods in the Carpathian region: the prosecution has opened a file on the fact of the ecocide
The prosecution has registered criminal proceedings for ecocide and violations of environmental laws after the Carpathian floods.
This was announced by Deputy Attorney General Alexei Simonenko in the “Right to Power” program on the “1 + 1” channel, according to Ukrinform.
“The prosecutor’s office has registered criminal proceedings for ecocide, mass destruction of plants, as well as numerous violations of environmental laws which led to an ecological disaster,” he said.
The official added that criminal cases under s. 246 of the Criminal Code regarding illegal logging.
“The investigation will assess the actions of those responsible and analyze the numerous criminal proceedings which are the subject of an investigation into the acts of illegal deforestation in this region,” noted Simonenko.
He also said that due to the illegal deforestation, the police were investigating 3,500 criminal cases and since the beginning of the year 400 indictments had been sent to the court.
In 2019 under Art. 246 of the Criminal Code, five people were sentenced to prison terms, the deputy public prosecutor said.
See also: In Transcarpathia, it is necessary to restore almost 8 thousand buildings – Zelensky
As reported by Ukrinform, in the western regions, 285 establishments were flooded, 9 thousand 994 houses and 8 obstetric care centers; 500 km of roads, 135 bridges and 280 m of dams were damaged.
On June 25, the Cabinet of Ministers decided to send approximately 700 million UAH to western Ukraine for priority measures to overcome the effects of the flood.
According to the materials: ukrinform.ru