Manchester Robin Van Persie against Arsenal
Transfers can be good, bad and outrageous.
Experts from the renowned ESPN television channel have listed the 10 most controversial transfers in football history.
The rating reflects the degree of outrageous transfers of prominent players when they went to the club at war.
In the top 10, only two transfers do not represent British football and three outside the English Premier League.
Assessment of outrageous transfers:
- 1. Mo Johnston – from “Nantes” to “Rangers” (before that he played for Celtic; Old Firm – a historic confrontation between the Scottish football clubs “Celtic” and “Rangers”, located in the largest city in country – Glasgow)
- 2. Luis Figo – from Barcelona to Real Madrid (El Clasico)
- 3. Saul Campbell – from Tottenham Hotspur to Arsenal (North London Derby)
- 4. Roberto Baggio – from Fiorentina to Juventus
- 5. Johan Cruyff – from Ajax to Feyenoord (like Spanish – De Classiker)
- 6. Ashley Cole – d’Arsenal to Chelsea (London Derby)
- 7. Robin van Persie – from Arsenal to Manchester United (is one of the most important confrontations in English football due to the rich history and success of the two clubs)
- 8. John Robertson – from Nottingham Forest to County Derby (Nottingham Derby)
- 9. Carlos Tevez – from Manchester United to Manchester City (Manchester Derby)
- 10. John Obi Mikel – from Manchester United to Chelsea
According to the materials: lb.ua