Gmail is a well-renowned free webmail service developed by Google in 2004. With more than 1.5 billion active users, Gmail is the preferred choice for users around the world.
However, it is a webmail-only email service. That means If you were looking for Gmail’s downloadable desktop application, then look no further because Gmail doesn’t have such an app to offer. But if you want to get Gmail as a PC desktop app, you have come to the right place to learn how to do that.
In this guide, I will walk you through a few simple steps to help you get Gmail as a desktop app. To learn about that, continue reading.
Is There an Official Desktop App for Gmail?
The answer is, No! Google has not officially launched any desktop email client for Gmail. Therefore, most users are bound to use browsers as the only way to access their Gmail accounts. However, that does not mean it is the only way of accessing your Gmail account. Fortunately, there is a way of managing your Gmail on your desktop. Whether you use a PC or MAC, I have got you covered.
How to Get Gmail as your PC Desktop App?
To make sure that your Gmail account functions as a desktop app, you are required to enable its native offline mode. So, whether you are using Windows PC or MAC, you can do so using any browser.
To get started with adding your Gmail to your desktop, sign in to your Gmail account and then follow the steps mentioned below:
1. Open your Gmail in browser
2. Now, you will see three vertical dots in the right-hand corner of the screen; click on these dots
3. Drop down menu will appear in front of you with multiple options
4. Out of all the options you see on screen, navigate to More tools and click on it
5. Next, click on Create Shortcut option
6. A new window will appear, and you need to make sure that Open as window is checked
7. Finally, right-click on the Gmail icon in the dock
8. Navigate to Options and then select the Keep in Dock option
How to use Gmail offline?
Now that you have learned how to get Gmail as your desktop app, let us learn how to use your Gmail offline. Follow these steps to do:
1. Go to the Settings in the upper right corner
2. Now, you need to choose the See all settings option
3. Next, switch to the Offline tab in the top menu
4. You need to check the checkbox next to Enable offline mail option
5. Now, according to your preference, you can either select Keep offline data on my computer or Remove offline data from my computer option
If only you use your computer, it is recommended to choose the Keep offline data on my computer option.
If not, you can go for the Remove offline data from my computer option for the sake of your privacy.
6. Finally, click on save changes
That’s it! This is all you are required to do to get Gmail as a desktop app and use your Gmail offline!