It is very difficult to completely secure your data when you intend to use the internet.
Leaks of personal data have become almost a traditional history for Ukraine. On the days of push-button telephones and rental movies on the shelves of the good old Petrovka in Kiev, you can buy a complete set of registries for $ 100-200.
Not every new drain of personal information comes as a surprise, but a response – often people themselves give personal data to strangers, send copies of documents in an unsafe manner and pacify all electronic storage media with their names.
This behavior makes mining a scam for data scammers, because they are sold in gigabytes – trifling – a scam Telegram bot offered a 900 gigabyte database: 110 million phone numbers, 148 million contacts, 4.5 billion emails, 3.4 billion passwords, 51 million identification codes and 4.3 million license plate numbers.
Data leakage can be conducted in several ways: Often the cause of the drain is either corrupt officials, or inattentive administrators, or skilled workers. But the main engine of this market is the almost complete lack of protective measures from the citizens.
For example, according to a Fabrizio Ward study, one in eight Ukrainians have a password for all accounts, and 54% of citizens simply use non-unique passwords, which are easy to crack with a simple selection method. is. Although the issue of data security is an extremely serious matter, fraudsters can use personal information in many schemes. From obtaining loans to harassment and extortion.
It is almost impossible to completely secure your data when you want to use the Internet. Today, any PC can act as a tracking device, if there is a network connection. But some measures will help mitigate the risks and complicate the lives of cyber fraudsters – instead of a tricky victim, they always opt for the more affordable one.
- Online banking, mail and personal social networks should have many different phone numbers and email addresses. It is best that numbers and addresses are not your primary for everyday use. A separate phone number in particular requires banking functions, as we are talking about the security of cash savings.
- In any case you should not leave information about yourself to questionable resources, send scanned personal documents to individuals and companies without good reason, and more – do not upload photos of your passport or infrared on social networks Do it
- A profile should not be opened widely in social networks – personal information may be visible to friends or relatives, but it is unacceptable to tell everyone who their family relationships, place of work, study and most relevant location are. Wants to The same applies for connecting strangers to friends – the social network is no longer a harmless environment, any unfamiliar account can lead to fraud.
- Do not share your passwords with anyone, do not enter passwords in plain sight and do not keep them in a document on the desktop of your personal or work PC. Also, the password must be changed at least once a month, written down – on paper. The optimal length of a secure password is 16 characters, including numbers and locations. Autocomplete work of login and password should also be stopped.
- Exclude links whose purpose is to update information about you. In general it is better to check any links, even if they have met friends in a private dialogue. And the application is only allowed as a last resort to access data on the phone.
Read: Ministry of Internal Affairs revealed details of the exit of personal data of Ukrainians via Telegram bot