PPC team lead at Netpec Internet Marketing Agency
In this article I want to share practical tips on optimizing ad campaigns in a crisis, what to look for and which messages to use in communication.
Quarantine is slowly weakening, but the economic crisis is just beginning. During self-isolation, users literally started living online. Therefore, with the end of quarantine, Internet audience share will not decrease. Those who are used to ordering on the Internet for two and a half months, picking up parcels from New Mail or waiting for a courier at the door, will not dramatically change their habits and continue to buy online.
Don’t cut advertising budgets in a crisis, are you serious?
according to this WordStreamIn the first half of March, the average conversion rate of ads on Google decreased by 21%. This is mainly due to a small panic of users and a buffer period of the global transition of online business.
Already in April, when everyone realized the scale of the situation and began to adapt to the new circumstances, conversion and payback indicators began to return to normal, and income records were also broken in some subjects. Based on the results of work with our customers, I can say that the quarantine period has become for development in such areas:
- A house and a garden;
- Construction and repair;
- Food & Beverage;
- Delivery service;
- Health and beauty;
- Transportation and components;
- Tools & Equipment;
- Sports, leisure and hobbies;
- Children’s merchandise;
- communication media.
In some traces, there is a seasonal increase (for example, a house and a garden), and one is significantly increased due to self-isolation. For both types of projects, it is now important not to cut budgets for ad campaigns, but to maintain online activity so as to not lose market share that was managed for growth in March and April.
Now Google follows up on practical recommendations to increase the effectiveness of advertising in advertisements.
How to run an ad campaign in Google ads during times of crisis
1. Use automated strategies. The dynamics of change in behavior of online users and other advertisers is so intense that it becomes impossible to manually optimize their advertising campaigns. The solution is to use automated strategies. A manual expert can analyze 10–20 factors to optimize a campaign, while the “fit” indicators for each auction are autostarages, for example, it is better to determine the optimal cost per click or that is to look creative. Automated strategies are more flexible, and seeing how things are changing fast now, they will help you achieve greater success and conversion campaigns.
For example, manual bidding allows you to select only one bid for different segments. With automated strategies, customization occurs according to the specifics of each individual auction.
2. Consider marginalization. More often see the margin of each category of promotion. If under normal circumstances this indicator can be checked once every few months, then it is better to look every 2 weeks. Given the dynamics of the frontier, put the budget of your advertising campaigns into “more profitable categories”.
3. Create a broad marketing funnel. During a crisis, when each customer is particularly important, you need to understand his or her behavior and analyze all the steps: from visiting the site to acquiring the product and publishing the review.
A wide funnel will allow you to see at what stage your users fall or identify technical nuances that prevent them from completing the target action. For example, a user has placed a product in the basket and wants to continue shopping, but upon closing the basket, his site is updated and sent to the main page (and not to that page) Where he stayed). Such minor flaws will greatly affect the conversion of your site. Therefore, it is important to close this “technical debt”, which is probably what you always kept in a long box.
4. Collect representative statistics to optimize your account. A classic situation in which probably every business owner and advertising expert got: no sales = no budget for advertising. No advertising budget = no sales. To get out of this vicious cycle, usually very little money is allocated for advertising, with which you can “test” various channels and conclude where it is worth raising the budget. If a very limited budget is allocated for contextual advertising, it is quite difficult to collect sufficient statistics data. But maybe. AT Of this instruction How to get more trust data is described in detail to optimize your account and get more conversions.
5. Optimize the campaign for mobile. The share of mobile users will increase from year to year, which means that the business definitely needs Mobile friendly. To not lose your audience, create mobile ads: Create creatives of varying sizes and optimize your campaign for mobile traffic.
6. Based on the results of the study, WordStream recommends that businesses create a profile in Google Merchant Center and advertise products in Google Shopping. Create product feeds and update them regularly to keep up-to-date product, price and product information on Google.
7. Choose the right type of advertisement. To understand which type of advertising to launch, evaluate your position in the market objectively. Using standard search advertising as an example, larger players should choose a vector for scaling and increased recognition, while smaller players should focus their efforts on more conversion keywords and engage in brand demand. Also, do not forget to use different promotional channels, as a unified approach to advertising gives a synergistic effect.
8. Create a special position for your customers. Be creative in your approach to the client. For some, enhanced personal training or priority support may be important, while others may be grateful for operational refinement of the product / service. Identify key points, indirect needs for the customer and try to work on them. For example, if you have delivered the item for 3 days, reduce it, if possible, to increase the price for the person for 1 day and there was not much difference: buy from offline store or you Order from Consumers who initiate online purchases have a good impression of service and delivery speed, they will definitely stay with you for many years.
9. Follow the creative’s relevance. For example, you decided to conduct a spring sale and your designer, according to the template of the previous year’s creation, created a banner with the text “Nice spend your vacation together”. This type of creative will probably work poorly and can only cause negative feedback from viewers, as many people have canceled vacations, events and trips elsewhere. Creatives must score accurately: clearly, structured, without vague promises. This is important: Do not waste time and money on expensive creatives anymore, even you are growing your business in a category. Make it simpler, more understandable and it won’t be any less cold.
10. Consider the cost per click when starting or optimizing a campaign. In the first quarter of 2020, a Google Ads ad clicks to a media card searching for $ 0.04– $ 0.10 – $ 0.02– $ 0.05, and only $ 0.01– $ 0.04 searches for KMC + smart campaigns. Data of your subject and area can be found in Quarterly studies.
To create a checklist with briefs and key tips that will help your ad make a positive impact and avoid a crisis period without harm:
- Focus on a specific product, product, service. Tell us exactly how your product can be useful to your customers;
- Always update information on goods that are in stock, what is in stock, what is delivery, how to pay for goods, how many days delivery;
- Use automated strategies and launch Google Shopping;
- Create Mobile Advertising Campaign
- Consider the cost per click for your business topic and area of promotion;
- Listen to your customer and create unique situations;
- Create a broad marketing funnel
- Make creatives more relevant, but don’t spend a lot of time and money on them.