How did Ukrainian companies switch to remote work and was it effective?
Coronacris and Quarantine have once again demonstrated the importance of digitization and automation for companies. One function of this process is the creation of digital jobs. In the first weeks of quarantine, the remote form of work raised many questions among both employees and employers: how to equip a safe workplace, how to keep contact with the employee, how to maintain work efficiency. Grc.ua experts studied what companies did so that the change in remote work was painless for both employees and businesses and whether these tasks were successful.
Communication is our everything
Representatives of employers focus on the fact that timely and adequate communication is the key to maintaining the team’s effectiveness with the remote work format.
For example, Elena Voitenko, HR director at JTI, said there was more communication than usual in the early stages of quarantine: “In addition to continuous communication within departments and functions, regular communication from top management is very important. At the same time, management messages should be more humane and informal than usual. In addition to frequent business communication, don’t forget about general human communication, ”says Ms. Voitenko.
Similar practices followed at Raisen Bank Aval. Ekaterina Gozdeva, employer brand development manager, said the company constantly communicates with bank employees:
- The bank’s board members communicate with employees in the form of a video conference, talk about plans and tasks, answer questions, share their own experience in quarantine;
- Training and development specialists provide useful material to adapt to new work conditions, conducting “home office”, leisure, online study;
- PR colleagues conducted webinars with a psychologist who talked about effective tools for working with feelings of anxiety, fear of uncertainty;
- Managers regularly communicate with members of their teams not only about work tasks, but also about life. Many teams have started remote daily meetings online to share news and emotional support.
How effective is it?
The survey showed that switching to telecommunications did not affect productivity. So, about half of the respondents (47%) said that while working remotely, employees managed to do as much as before.
But 19% of employers observed that productivity increased with distance work. This trend was noted by companies working in those areas:
- Information Technology, System Integration, Internet – 32%;
- Food products – 18%;
- Retail trade – 11%;
- Educational institutions, media, advertising, PR, design, production – 7% each;
- Financial sector, consumer goods (non-food), telecommunications, communication, agriculture, wholesale, consulting, government organizations – 4% each.
However, there were some companies that accepted: working at home, employees became less productive. Nearly a quarter (23%) of such responses were in the media, advertising, PR industry, 15% for each information technology and business, 12% for services in the population.
What will happen next
Despite the fact that the remote format of work had practically no effect on its effectiveness, only two out of 100 employers plan to implement it on an ongoing basis. This was stated by representatives of industries such as “financial sector”, “information technology” and “social activities”. Another 13% of the defendant employers allowed workers to choose the work format on their own.
In addition, every fifth defendant (19%) among employees cannot wait to return to office.
Therefore, in Ukrainian realities, large-scale transition to a remote format of work is unlikely to occur in the near future. However, there is every reason to say that employers may be more flexible in this matter.
Paypal magazine help
Alphabet chief Sundar Pichai, which includes Google, recently informed employees that they would be working from home before the end of the year. At the same time, there are plans to open the office in June-July. Facebook gave a similar statement. And Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey announced to employees that they could not return to their offices even after the epidemic and would continue to work remotely.
Read: Quarantine has proved the effectiveness of remote work: how it will change the company
Support magazine magazine