Yahoo email remains one of the most popular email services in the world. It is the third most popular messaging platform after Gmail from Google and Outlook from Microsoft. Moreover, with more than 200 million active users, Yahoo mail is still going strong.
However, even after being at the top of its game, Yahoo users have reported a few errors, such as Yahoo mail server connection failure. It is one of the common issues faced by Yahoo Mail users. Typically, users encounter this error when they try to connect to the mail servers. If you are dealing with the same issue, you have come to the right page to learn how to fix it.
In this article below, I will walk you through a systematic guide to resolve the Yahoo connection to server failed error. So, to learn the process, be sure to give this article a read.
Common Reasons to Encounter Error: Connection to the Server failed
If you are using a third-party mail client (the iOS mail app or Android Mail) to access your Yahoo Mail account but continue to get the message “Error: Connection to the server failed,” it could be due to these reasons:
- Your device does not support SSL encryption
- Login information error
- Incorrect IMAP or POP settings on your device
- The iOS Mail or Android Mail app issue
Fix Yahoo Mail Connection To Server Failed Issue
Verify The Server Settings:
If you are using a third-party mail client to manage your Yahoo mail account, you need to verify server settings.
- Launch your Yahoo mail account.
- Navigate to the Account Settings.
- Click on the Advanced Settings button.
- Now, check your server settings with the settings below.
Incoming Mail Server:
- Server – imap.mail.yahoo.com (IMAP) or pop.mail.yahoo.com (POP)
- Port number – 993 (IMAP) or 995 (POP)
- Authentication type – SSL required
Outgoing Mail Server:
- Server – smtp.mail.yahoo.com
- Port number – 587 (TLS) or 465 (SSL)
- Authentication type – SSL or TLS required
If the web browser you use to access the Yahoo Mail account is not updated to the latest version, you need to update it to avoid connection to the server failed error.
Remove And Re-add The Account
- Open the email client on your computer.
- Now, delete the email account entirely and close the application.
- After that, restart the application and re-add your Yahoo mail account on your mobile phone.
- Finally, open the email and check if the yahoo connection to the server failed error is fixed.
Yahoo Mail application
- Launch the Yahoo Mail application on your mobile phone.
- Navigate to the Menu and click on the Manage Accounts option.
- Now, select the Account Info and then click on the Security Settings option.
- Next, enter your security code and select the Change Password option.
- Choose the I would rather change my password option.
- Now, enter a new password for the Yahoo Mail account.
- Click Continue.
Some network protocols, firewalls, or antivirus tools might block or stop the mail server ports. You need to unblock the ports and check if the yahoo connection to the server failed issue is resolved. To do so:
- Navigate to the firewall settings of the computer and disable it.
- Now, turn off or remove the antivirus program.
- Once you have connected to the mail server, turn on the security programs to certify Yahoo mail connection to the server failed error is fixed.